Abdul Sattar Edhi, is a prominent Pakistani social activist, public figure and an humanitarian. He is the founder and head of the Edhi Foundation, a non-profit social welfare organization in Pakistan. With his wife, Bilquis Edhi, he received the 1986 Ramon Magsaysay Award for their Public Service. He is also the recipient of the Lenin Peace Prize and the Balzan Prize. In September 2010, Edhi was also awarded an honorary degree of Doctorate by the University of Bedfordshire.In 1985 Edhi received the Nishan-e-Imtiaz from the Government of Pakistan.
He was born in 1928, in the city of Bantva in what is now western India. Edhi resolved to dedicate his life to aiding the poor, and over the last sixty years, he has single handedly changed the face of welfare in Pakistan. Edhi founded the Edhi Foundation,started with only fund of five thousand rupees. Regarded as a guardian for the poor, Edhi began receiving numerous donations, which allowed him to expand his services. To this day, the Edhi Foundation continues to grow in both size and service, and is currently the largest welfare organization in Pakistan. The Edhi Foundation has rescued over 20,000 abandoned childrens, over 50,000 orphans and has trained over 40,000 nurses. It also runs over three hundred and thirty welfare centers in rural and urban Pakistan which operate as food kitchens, rehabilitation homes, shelters for abandoned women and children .
Edhi has remained a simple and humble man. To this day, he owns two pairs of clothes, has never taken a salary from his organization and lives in a small two bedroom apartment over his clinic in Karachi.He was recommended for a Nobel Peace prize by the Prime Minister of Pakistan.
Early Life :
Abdul Sattar Edhi was born in 1928 in Bantva (India). When he was eleven, his mother became paralyzed and died when he was 19. His personal experiences caused him to develop a system of services for old. Edhi and his family migrated to Pakistan in 1947. He became a commission agent selling cloth in the wholesale market in Karachi. After a few years, he established a free dispensary with the help from his community. He later established a welfare trust, “Edhi Trust”.Abdul Sattar Edhi was marrried to Bilquis Edhi and they have four children, two daughters and two sons. Bilquis Edhi runs the maternity home at the headquarters in Karachi.
International Awards for Services of Abdul Sattar Edhi:
- Ramon Magsaysay Award for Public Service (1986)
- Lenin Peace Prize (1988)
- Paul Harris Fellow from Rotatory International Foundation, (1993)
- Peace Prize from (USSR former) for services in the American earthquake disaster, (1998)
- Largest Voluntary Ambulance Organization of the World – Guinness Book of World Records (2000)
- Hamdan Award for volunteers in Humanitarian Medical Services (2000) UAE
- International Balzan Prize (2000) for Humanity, Peace and Brotherhood, Italy
- Peace and Harmony Award (Delhi), 2001
- Peace Award (Mumbai), 2004
- Peace Award (Hyderabad Deccan), 2005
- Wolf of Bhogio Peace Award (Italy), 2005
- Gandhi Peace Award (Delhi),2007
- UNESCO Madan jeet sing Peace Award (Paris),2007
- Peace Award Seoul (South Korea), 2008
- Honorary Doctorate degree from the Institute of Business Administration Karachi (2006).
- UNESCO-Madanjeet Singh Prize (2009)
- Ahmadiyya Muslim Peace Prize (2010)
- Peace Award (London), 2011
Nationa Awards for Services of Abdul Sattar Edhi:
- Silver Jubilee Shield by College of Physicians and Surgeons, Pakistan, (1962–1987)
- The Social Worker of Sub-Continent by Government of Sind, Pakistan, (1989)
- Nishan-e-Imtiaz, civil decoration from Government of Pakistan (1989)
- Recognition of meritorious services to oppressed humanity during eighties by Ministry of Health and Social Welfare, Government of Pakistan, (1989)
- Pakistan Civic Award from the Pakistan Civic Society (1992)
- Shield of Honor by Pakistan Army (E & C)
- Khidmat Award by Pakistan Academy of Medical Sciences
- Human Rights Award by Pakistan Human Rights Society
Donation for Edhi welfare trust:
You can donate to Edhi welfare trust using this link given below